McCord Engineering, Inc. (MEI) is looking for a transmission engineer to join our firm. The firm is involved with, electrical transmission and distribution projects. The position will be primarily involved with transmission engineering designs for our clients. Most projects involve working directly with our clients which includes municipal utilities, cooperatives, industrial and private entities. The following are the tasks that the individual should be able to do at a minimum: QUALIFICATIONS
- Provide design and detailed direction to technical staff in the following areas: transmission lines design, PLS CADD / PLS POLE, modeling and AUTOCAD.
- Structure analysis and loading trees, developing design criteria and specifications for the line design and procurement of materials and quality control reviews.
- Provide interpretation and make decisions in accordance with relevant US codes (NESC, RUS, ASCE), standards, Federal and State laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines.
- Principles and practices of electrical engineering as applied to the design and construction of an electrical transmission system.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work expected to be performed. The examples of work performed are neither restricted to nor all encompassing of the duties to be performed under this job title.
- Routing and electrical design of Transmission lines utilizing the Power Line Systems software suite including PLS-CADD and PLS-POLE (selection of wire, structure types, ROW widths, clearances, loading cases, structure locations, vendor hardware, etc.)
- Develop documents, drawings, criteria and specifications for procurement of materials and/or construction.
- Prepare drawings and documentation for construction of Transmission line projects.
- Perform/assist with the preparation of cost estimates for overhead transmission projects
- Prepare concrete, steel, et. al. pole drilling guides and loading tables.
- Prepare plan and profile drawings for design and permits.
- Perform technical engineering work of a complex nature.
- Review plans and documents for conformance to regulations.
- Gather data and make accurate engineering computations.
- Prepare plans and specifications, neatly and accurately.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Involved in data collection with unmanned aerial systems.
- Familiar with AutoCAD or similar software, methods and tools of drafting.
- Computer applications: MS Office, Computer Aided Drafting, PLS-CADD and PLS-POLE software.
Experience: Five years of increasingly responsible experience in transmission engineering work preferably within the Electric Utility and/or consulting industries. Education (preferred, but not required): Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Electrical or Civil Engineering. Registration as a Professional Engineer in Texas or the ability to become one in a short order. Competitive salary and excellent benefits. Job Location: College Station, Texas